Wednesday, July 28, 2010

STUMBLING BLOCKS

Stumbling Blocks



The last week or so I have been thinking a lot about stumbling blocks in our Christian walks. In reading scriptures it appears that the stumbling blocks are those that are stronger in faith! Those that cause the little ones or weak ones or young ones to stumble because of their example. I suppose if we are known as Christians and we profess that, we are examples of who and what Christ is about. When we are known as Christians yet practice sin or lawlessness this causes others to stumble. My guess is this is the very reason the world has such a problem w/Christians. They see on one hand the professing and preaching and the other they see the acts of the flesh; which Galatians 5 makes clear are:


19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.


Our lives are examples of Christ, as Christians we represent Him whether we think we do or not. Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.


This verse tells me that people are watching so be a good example! If we ourselves are entangled in sin, we are hindered, and that can hinder others. 2 Corinthians 5:20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. So this verse is giving instruction, where the apostle is “begging” you on Christ’s behalf! He is telling us to be reconciled to God. We are a representation of Christ, His ambassadors!


We will all fail, all Christians sin but I believe there is a difference between “practicing” sin and sinning. Practicing sin means to knowingly continue in it, refining the skill! Think of manipulation and how one can practice this, getting better at it each time there is an opportunity to do so. Then there are those times when we are weak, we fail and we sin; it may be an area we struggle in but it is something that is given over to God, is repented of, turned away from and hated! That is very different than practicing a sin.

How do we cause one to stumble then? By living in and practicing sin; most likely justifying it. So how does a stumbling block look? I have been watching my youngest son learn to walk. Knowing he is my last I am savoring the last baby moments; really taking them in. Since he was 9 months he’s been standing up alone and unsupported in the middle of the floor, it takes a lot of concentration. You can see this is hard; he’s wiggly and trying to catch his balance. He is very cautious and has been taking a few steps but falls and eventually tries again. He is now 11 months and walking all over, but its new and awkward looking. Sometimes he walks faster than he is ready for and boom; hits the ground. But as I noticed even the smallest things can make him fall. A change on texture on the floor from tile to carpet, a tiny toy, or a wanting to go one direction but his feet are not pointed correctly…will all make him fall. As a parent I try and clear all possible stumbling blocks out of his way to make his path clear, but it seems there is always something at some point that will make him fall. Sometimes it’s his own eagerness of reaching for something that is out of reach that catches him off balance. He is bound to fall, that is how he will learn but I certainly try to make it so he doesn’t stumble on something I am leaving around! Much like a walk of young or weak Christians, we need to not become their stumbling blocks. It would be strange for me to have such a hard time walking and the carpet changing wouldn’t trip me up, but I have been walking a long time.

I think the hardest area to work on is our relationships with those closest to us; especially in marriages. One spouse might be a younger Christian and we may have expectations of them to be a certain way. We may fall into a cycle of being critical of them; husbands leadership or lack thereof apathy or laziness, wives overbearing or unsubmissive hearts or lack of gentleness. We can point the finger expecting different results all the while we are the ones that are their very stumbling block! It could be my need for my spouse to grow into a role they are not yet walking in could be the reason we become critical, which in turn causes dissension, factions and the result is the spouse stumbling over the hypocrisy.

It is not just for myself that I do not “practice” sin, it is for others as well. Today I ask the Holy Spirit to search my heart and reveal to me areas where I may be practicing sin; becoming a stumbling block for others. Do I have fits of rage? Do I gossip? Do I practice a sinful lifestyle that doesn’t line up with that of what is instructed in the Bible? Do I justify this lifestyle?

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

Great post! I appreciate you pointing out that we are called to live one way yet non-believers see us another way.
I was just wondering when you were going to post something new again. :)