Monday, August 16, 2010

PEACE

PEACE



Recently I have had several conversations on “peace”. I think on these conversations and am grateful for the hopes of peace and that people still believe in peace. But as I pondered more and more I realize my views on peace are much different than those that possess worldly or secular views.


Over and over in the Bible the Lord is called the God of Peace. Jesus is called the Prince of Peace and so on. Several references being made to peace in Christian life, yet we also see and know that there will be wars and nation rising against nation. So how do these fit together?


The Jesus that some perceive in worldly view, is one that is peaceful and desires for us to be in peace. He stated that, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid”. (John 14:27)

As this is true we also see that Jesus Himself says, “Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household.” (Matthew 10:33-36)


So how can the two views be seen as one? How does the peace teaching Jesus, also say this? It is because true peace will never be on this Earth. Jesus knew that. We see the world trying to strive toward unity and peace and yet it will never happen. Wars will go on, fightings and killing will persist. He tells us the key, “I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

It is only IN HIM that we can have true peace. Peace is not “no war”, it is a state of being IN HIM. Peace is not dependant on circumstances, health and financial prosperity. It is not dependant on war or no war. It transcends earthly understanding and makes an imprisoned man free. It is the PEACE OF GOD. The world cannot offer this peace, even if no war was happening there isn’t peace. However my God gives peace in the midst of war, in terror, in prison, in sickness in persecution, even unto death! He gives peace that cannot be attained by this world. “And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:7)


The peace of God surpasses ALL comprehension; we cannot lay hold of understanding this kind of peace. It guards you heart and mind IN CHRIST JESUS. It is only if you are in Him that you can know this peace. So all the scrambling and human effort will never truly understand or offer peace. He told us that in HIM we may have peace but we would have tribulation in the world but cheer up because HE has overcome the world. He tells us "And when you hear of wars and tumults, do not be terrified; for this must first take place, but the end will not be at once. Then he said to them, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and pestilences; and there will be terrors and great signs from heaven." (Luke 21:9-11)
Only the Lord can tell us to not be afraid when we see these things happening because HIS peace is not comprehendible.

So why doesn’t everyone understand this peace? Jesus answered, My kingship is not of this world; if my kingship were of this world, my servants would fight, that I might not be handed over to the Jews; but my kingship is not from the world. Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one who is of the truth hears my voice. (John 18:36-37)


Jesus declares HIS kingship isn’t of this world, it’s not earthly…if it were His servants would fight (fight to not hand Him over to those who would crucify Him)! Then He goes on to say that everyone who is of the truth (In Jesus, saved) hears His voice. So those who are not in Him, cannot hear His voice. They cannot understand the things He teaches, their eyes are blind to it unless they become saved and their eyes become open to the truth. This is why the world cannot grasp peace; because it’s only in Him they can have peace.


Thank you Lord that the peace you offer is unlike the world’s ideas, that it isn’t dependant on our surroundings, that instead it is a gift that only You can give and something that can make us stand in the face of terror, fear, hardship, sickness, war, financial ruin, persecution and even death. Thank you Lord, for Your peace. In Jesus, Amen.

No comments: